The Michael Cera-starring romance comedy Scott Pilgrim vs. the World debuted on DVD and Blu-ray on Nov. 9, 2010, and Universal Studios Home Entertainment gave Blu-ray buyers a bonus movie stream via BD-Live or smartphone.
PG-13 movie Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, which grossed $30.4 million in theaters, is an adaptation of the popular graphic novel series by Bryan Lee O’Malley. In keeping with the original source material, the movie boasts gravity-defying action and videogame-inspired graphics.
Cera (Juno, Youth in Revolt) plays Pilgrim, a 22-year-old bass guitarist for the garage band Sex Bob-omb who has just met the girl of his dreams, played by Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Live Free or Die Hard). But to win her love, Pilgrim must battle her seven evil exes, who are coming to kill him, including infamous skateboarders to vegan rock stars and fearsomely identical twins.
Directed, produced and co-written by Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead), Scott Pilgrim vs. the World also stars Kieran Culkin (Igby Goes Down), Chris Evans (Captain America: The First Avenger), Anna Kendrick (Twilight franchise), Alison Pill (Dan in Real Life), Brandon Routh (Superman Returns, TV’s Chuck) and Jason Schwartzman (Funny People).
The high-definition version of the movie is a two-disc Blu-ray/DVD combo pack with a downloadable digital copy, for a limited time.
Also for a limited time, buyers of the Blu-ray can stream a free bonus movie of Tremors or Pitch Black on Internet-connected Blu-ray players or, using Universal’s Pocket Blu app, a smartphone or iPad. Universal gave the same offer with Charlie St. Cloud, which came to DVD and Blu-ray the same day.
The Pocket Blu app also allows users to use their smartphones as a remote control, play bonus content on their phones and access a video timeline while watching the movie.
The Blu-ray combo pack includes these special features:
- three Insider documentaries: making-of featurette, music featurette and “You Too Can Be Sex Bob-omb”
- alternative edits of the film
- look at the film’s pre-production process, including storyboards, pre-visualizations, animatics, motion capture tests, rehearsal footage, casting tapes and hair and makeup tests
- four music videos and video remixes from DJ Osymyso
- featurette on the movie’s visual effects
- mini documentary of the creation of the film’s sound
- Adult Swim “Scott Pilgrim vs. the Animation”
- Scott Pilgrim vs. the Censors TV safe version
- behind-the-scenes production blogs from the set of the movie with Wright
- and Universal’s U-Control with storyboard picture-in-picture track.
Both the Blu-ray and DVD versions of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World contain these special features:
- deleted and alternate scenes with commentary by Wright
- behind-the-scenes photo galleries
- trivia track
- production photo and art galleries
- and four commentaries:
- movie commentary with Wright, co-writer Michael Bacall and O’Malley
- technical commentary with Wright and director of photography Bill Pope
- cast commentary with Cera, Schwartzman, Winstead, Ellen Wong and Routh
- and another cast commentary with Kendrick, Aubrey Plaza, Culkin and Mark Webber.
The Blu-ray has DTS-HD audio, while the DVD has 5.1 sound.
Here’s the trailer for the film:
Buy or Rent Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
DVD | Blu-ray/DVD Combo
|DVD | Blu-ray/DVD Combo||DVD | Blu-ray/DVD Combo|