Double Oscar winner Raging Bull, starring Robert De Niro (Once Upon a Time in America) as a self-destructive boxer, was released on high-definition Blu-ray in a 30th Anniversary Edition on Jan. 11, 2011, from MGM Home Entertainment.
Directed by Martin Scorsese (Shutter Island), the critically acclaimed 1980 film follows De Niro’s Jake LaMotta, a struggling boxer trying to become the middleweight champion of the world. Battling his own demons, Jake’s credibility as a legitimate boxer is challenged when he conspires with the Mob to throw a fight in his opponent’s favor. As Jake’s life continues to tumble out of control, he sours his already bad relationship with his brother and manager (Joe Pesci, Love Ranch) by accusing him of having an affair with Jake’s wife (Cathy Moriarty, The Bounty Hunter).
Shot in black-and-white, Raging Bull won Academy Awards for De Niro’s performance as best actor and best editing. It also was nominated for best supporting actor (Pesci), best supporting actress (Moriarty), cinematography, director, sound and the biggie, best picture. The film is ranked at No. 24 in the American Film Institute’s “100 Years … 100 Movies” list.
Distributed through 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, Raging Bull 30th Anniversary Edition is a Blu-ray/DVD combo pack priced at $29.99. The set includes five new special features not on previous DVD editions of the movie:
- featurette “Marty & Bobby”
- featurette “Raging Bull: Reflections On a Classic”
- featurette “Remembering Jake”
- featurette “Marty On Film”
- and Moriarty on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson from March 27, 1981.
Also in the Blu-ray/DVD pack are these extras that have been on previous sets:
- commentary by Scorsese and editor Thelma Schoonmaker
- commentary by cast and crew members
- commentary by storytellers
- featurette “Raging Bull: Fight Night”
- featurette “The Bronx Bull”
- featurette “De Niro va. LaMotta”
- and featurette “LaMotta Defends Title.”
This is not the movie’s debut in high-definition. Raging Bull was released on Blu-ray in 2009.
Buy or Rent Raging Bull 30th Anniversary