Blu-ray & DVD Release Date: Aug. 28, 2012
Price: DVD $29.98, Blu-ray/DVD Combo $34.98
Studio: Universal Studios Home Entertainment
Kitsch plays Lieutenant Alex Hopper, a naval weapons officer assigned to the destroyer USS John Paul, which ends up being humanity’s last hope against a global alien invasion. Also on board are Alexander Skarsgard (Straw Dogs) as Hopper’s older brother Stone, commanding officer of the USS Sampson; singer Rihanna in her movie debut as petty officer second class Cora Raikes, Hopper’s crewmate and a weapons specialist on the USS John Paul; Brooklyn Decker (Just Go With It) as Hopper’s fiance; and Liam Neeson (The Grey) as Admiral Shane, the commander of the Pacific fleet and Hopper and Stone’s boss.
I don’t remember aliens in the game when I was kid, but apparently the film’s writers Erich Hoeber and Jon Hoeber (Red) and director Peter Berg (Hancock) felt they’d add a little extra excitement to the number calling.
The aliens didn’t, however, wow critics. Richard Roeper called the movie, “Big loud stupid dopey shameless cliched overbearing and did I mention stupid?” Ouch. Tom Long of the Detroit News gave the film a little more hope, saying, “Battleship doesn’t sink, really. It just sits there booming endlessly as you look on aghast.”
The film is the second of a string of three badly reviewed movies headlined by Kitsch, starting with John Carter, which we liked better than some, and before Oliver Stone’s Savages, which critics also panned.
Rated PG-13, Battleship grossed $64 million in theaters in the U.S. but did better overseas, where it earned $236.7 million.
- featurette “Preparing for Battle” about how the filmmakers teamed with the US Navy for the movie
- featurette “All Hands on Deck: The Cast” showing the actors getting into the military mindset
- two-part segment “Engage in Battle”
- “Shooting at Sea” showing the challenges of the crew on their “soundstage at sea”
- “All Aboard the Fleet” with cast and crew members sharing their experiences shooting on the ships, particularly the historic USS Missouri
Exclusive to the Blu-ray are these bonuses:
- alternate ending pre-visualization with commentary by Berg
- fesaturette “The Visual Effects of Battleship” showing the water-simulation programs and motion capture at Industrial Light & Magic
- “All Access With Director Peter Berg” with Berg going behind the scenes
- “USS Missouri VIP Tour” with Berg and Navy veterans hosting a look at the historic “Mighty Mo” and the facts and action that has been on the decks
- “Commander Pete” with Berg energizing the cast and crew
- Universal’s Second Screen with these features on a computer or tablet as the movie plays
- “Alien Tech 3D Model Turntable Explosions”
- “All Access With Director Peter Berg”
- “Flick View” to allow users to move content from their portable to their TV
- Pocket Blu app that allows smartphones to interact with Blu-ray players
The Blu-ray/DVD Combo also includes a downloadable digital copy of Battleship and instant streaming via UltraViolet.
Buy or Rent Battleship
DVD | Blu-ray/DVD Combo
|DVD | Blu-ray/DVD Combo||DVD | Blu-ray/DVD Combo|