Blu-ray Release Date: May 27, 2014
Price: Blu-ray $39.95
Bill Murray (Lost in Translation) stars in Wes Anderson’s (Moonrise Kingdom) quirky 2004 comedy adventure The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, which makes it’s Blu-ray debut on the venerable Criterion label.
Internationally famous oceanographer Steve Zissou (Murray) and his crew—Team Zissou—set sail on an expedition to hunt down the mysterious, elusive, possibly nonexistent Jaguar Shark that killed Zissou’s partner during the documentary filming of their latest adventure. They are joined on their voyage by a young airline copilot (Owen Wilson, Hall Pass), a pregnant journalist (Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine), and Zissou’s estranged wife, Eleanor (Anjelica Huston, Crimes and Misdemeanors).
Criterion issued Steve Zissou on DVD in 2005 and has ported over that edition’s bonus features for the Blu-ray edition.
The Blu-ray includes the following:
• New, restored digital transfer, approved by director Wes Anderson, with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
• Commentary by Anderson and cowriter Noah Baumbach
• New interviews with actors Bill Murray, Willem Dafoe, and Jeff Goldblum
• This Is an Adventure, a documentary by Antonio Ferrera, Albert Maysles, and Matthew Prinzing chronicling the production of the movie
• Mondo Monda, an Italian talk show featuring an interview with Anderson and Baumbach, hosted by Antonio Monda
• Interview with composer and Devo member Mark Mothersbaugh
• Ten performances of David Bowie songs in Portuguese by Brazilian recording artist and actor Seu Jorge
• Intern video journal by actor Matthew Gray Gubler
• Multiple interviews with the cast and crew, featuring behind-the-scenes footage
• Making-of featurette
• Nine deleted scenes
• Behind-the-scenes photos and original artwork from the film
• An insert featuring a cutaway view of The Belafonte, the ship from the film, Eric Anderson’s original illustrations, and a conversation between Wes and Eric conducted in 2005
Buy or Rent The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou