Blu-ray & DVD Release Date: Aug. 19, 2014
Price: DVD $29.95, Blu-ray/DVD Combo $39.95
The rambunctious 1990 dark comedy Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! is Spanish filmmaker Pedro Almodóvar’s (Broken Embraces) colorful and controversial tribute to the pleasures and perils of Stockholm syndrome.
The film stars Antonio Banderas (Haywire) as an unbalanced but alluring former mental patient and Victoria Abril (Walking Vengeance) as the B-movie and porn star he takes prisoner in the hopes of convincing her to marry him.
A highly unconventional romance that came on the spike heels of Almodóvar’s international sensation Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, this is a splashy, sexy central work in the career of one of the international cinema’s most beloved and provocative auteurs, radiantly shot by the director’s great cinematographer José Luis Alcaine (Volver).
Presented in Spanish with English subtitles, Criterion’s DVD and Blu-ray/DVD Combo editions of Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! includes the following features:
• New 2K digital restoration, supervised by director Pedro Almodóvar and executive producer Agustín Almodóvar, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• New documentary on the making of the film including interviews with Pedro and Agustín Almodóvar; actors Antonio Banderas, Victoria Abril, Loles Léon, Rossy de Palma, and Penélope Cruz; production manager Esther García; editor José Salcedo; and cinematographer José Luis Alcaine
• New interview with Almodóvar collaborator and Sony Pictures Classics co-president Michael Barker
• Conversation from 2003 between Almodóvar and Banderas
• Footage from the film’s 1990 premieres in Madrid and New York
• New English subtitle translation
• A booklet featuring a 1990 piece about the film by Almodóvar, a conversation between filmmaker Wes Anderson and critic Kent Jones, and an interview with Almodóvar from 1989
Buy or Rent Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!
DVD | Blu-ray/DVD Combo
|DVD | Blu-ray/DVD Combo||DVD | Blu-ray/DVD Combo|