Comedy The Santa Clause is No. 14 in Disc Dish‘s top 25 Christmas movies and the second appearance of comedian Tim Allen (Christmas With the Kranks).
Released in 1994, at the height of Allen’s TV sitcom Home Improvement, the movie stars Allen as a divorced father who accidentally kills Santa Claus and is then required to replace him, much to the delight of his young son Charlie (Eric Lloyd, Batman & Robin). The job becomes a bit of a problem for Allen’s Scott Calvin, when he grows a long white beard that he can’t shave off and puts on weight despite exercising until he has the perfect jolly old Saint Nick body. But, with the help of Charlie, Scott learns how to really be the big guy, reindeer, chimneys and all.
The film also stars Judge Reinhold (Beverly Hills Cop), Wendy Crewson (Air Force One), David Krumholtz (TV’s Numbers) and another TV sitcom staple, the late Peter Boyle from TV’s Everybody Loves Raymond.
Rated PG, The Santa Clause grossed $144.8 million when it was released in theaters and spawned two sequels: The Santa Clause 2: The Mrs. Clause and The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause. But the original is still the best.
Check out the rest of the Disc Dish Christmas Movie Advent Calendar.
- Christmas Movie Advent Calendar Day 1: Christmas With the Kranks
- Christmas Movie Advent Calendar Day 11: Bad Santa
- Christmas Movie Advent Calendar Day 13: The Muppet Christmas Carol
- Christmas Movie Advent Calendar Day 24: The Nightmare Before Christmas
- Top Movies: 14 Days of Romance Day 4, Shakespeare Movies