Blu-ray Release Date: April 9, 2013
Price: Blu-ray $39.95
Peter Weller (Firstborn), Judy Davis (To Rome with Love) and Roy Scheider (Jaws) star in David Cronenberg’s (Cosmopolis) 1991 film adaptation of William S. Burroughs’s hallucinatory, once-thought unfilmable 1959 novel Naked Lunch.
Weller takes the lead in the biographical drama-comedy as a part-time exterminator and full-time drug addict named Bill Lee who plunges into the nightmarish Interzone, a netherworld of sinister cabals and giant talking bugs.
Alternately humorous and grotesque—and always surreal—the film mingles aspects of Burroughs’s novel with incidents from the writer’s own life, resulting in an paranoid fantasy and a self-reflexive investigation into the mysteries of the creative process.
The Blu-ray contains the same bonus features that were offered on the Criterion DVD that was issued back in 2003 (and that’s still available). Here’s what’s included:
• High-definition digital transfer, approved by director David Cronenberg, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
• Audio commentary featuring Cronenberg and actor Peter Weller
• Naked Making Lunch, a 1992 television documentary by Chris Rodley about the making of the film
• Special effects gallery, featuring artwork and photos alongside an essay by Cinefex magazine editor Jody Duncan
• Collection of original marketing materials
• Audio recording of William S. Burroughs reading from his novel Naked Lunch
• Gallery of photos taken by poet Allen Ginsberg of Burroughs
• A booklet featuring reprinted pieces by film critic Janet Maslin, director Chris Rodley, critic and novelist Gary Indiana, and Burroughs
Buy or Rent Naked Lunch