Blu-ray Release Date: Dec. 3, 2013
Price: Blu-ray $49.99
Nine minutes are added into Ben Affleck’s (The Company Men) Oscar-winning thriller movie for Argo Extended Edition, plus new special features are on the Blu-ray.
The 2012 film tells the story of CIA specialist Tony Mendez (Affleck), who creates an outrageous plan to rescue six Americans during the Iran hostage crisis by pretending they’re making a fake science-fiction movie.
The additional nine minutes delved deeper into Mendez’s relationships with his estranged wife and son.
The original version of Argo won three Academy Awards — Best Editing, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Picture — and was nominated for four more: Best Original Score, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing and Best Supporting Actor Alan Arkin (The Incredible Burt Wonderstone).
John Goodman (Flight), Bryan Cranston (TV’s Breaking Bad), Victor Garber (Titanic), Tate Donovan (TV’s Damages) and Chris Messina (Monogamy) also star in the movie, which was originally released on DVD and Blu-ray in February.
Argo Extended Edition Blu-ray contains three new special features along with collectible memorabilia in the package:
- “Argo Declassified” with Mendez’s operation getting honored as part of the CIA’s 50th anniversary
- “Ben Affleck’s Balancing Act,” about how the movie balances humor, politics and intrigue
- “Argo F*ck Yourself” with Affleck leaving an all-star review of the film’s classic line
- one-sheet poster
- map of Tehran
- reproduction of Mendez’s CIA ID card
- and a 40-page book with behind-the-scenes photos, production notes, bios and more.
The Blu-ray also offers the extras that are on the original Blu-ray and DVD:
- “Picture in Picture: Eyewitness Account,” re-living the takeover of the U.S. Embassy in November 1979 through the eyes of those who lived it
- audio commentary with Affleck and writer Chris Terrio
- “Rescued From Tehran: We Were There,” with the real Mendez, President Jimmy Carter and the houseguests recounting their harrowing real-life experience
- “Argo: Absolute Authenticity,” about Affleck’s goal to realism and exacting details in the film
- “Argo: The CIA & Hollywood Connection,” with Affleck and Mendez giving a first-hand view of the actual documents and cover story used to create the fake movie
- “Escape From Iran: The Hollywood Option,” commemmorating the 25th anniversary of the “Canadian Caper” with direct testimony of the Americans who found sanctuary at the Canadian embassy in Tehran and the Canadians who risked their lives to help
- “Argo Files:”
- “A Discussion With the Cast of Argo” including Affeck, Cranston, Goodman, Arkin, Clea Duvall (TV’s American Horror Story) and Rory Cochran (Public Enemies)
- “Tony Mendez on Tony Mendez” with the former CIA agent sharing additional details and stories from the mission
- “The Istanbul Journey” with Affleck showing why Istanbul was the ideal place to shoot the movie.
The Blu-ray also offers a downloadable version of Argo through UltraViolet.
Buy or Rent Argo Extended Edition