Blu-ray & DVD Release Date: Jan. 28, 2014
Price: DVD $30.99, Blu-ray/DVD Combo $40.99, Blu-ray 3D Combo $45.99
Studio: Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
This time around, Lockwood discovers that he didn’t actually destroy his machine in the original film. Instead, his invention is now creating animal-food hybrids, “foodimals!” Lockwood and his friends have to embark on a new adventure to save the world again, but this time from hungry tacodiles, shrimpanzees, hippotatomuses, cheesepiders and other foodimals.
The $115 million-grossing sequel got high praise from critics, 71% approval, according to Rotten Tomatoes. As Entertainment Weekly‘s Keith Staskiewicz wrote: “The animation is inventive and elastic, the dialogue zippy and shamelessly punny, and the tone lighthearted and fun, even if on a whole it’s not quite a full meal.”
Also in the voice cast are James Caan (Thief), Andy Samberg (Celeste & Jesse Forever), Benjamin Bratt (Despicable Me 2), Terry Crews (The Expendables 2) and Neil Patrick Harris (A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas). The movie has a new direction team: Cody Cameron (Open Season 3) and first-time helmer Kris Pearn, who was head of story for the original Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.
All home versions of Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 come packed with a healthy menu of special features. These are on all versions:
- commentary with directors Cody Cameron and Kris Pearn
- Cody Simpson music video for “La Da Dee” and making-of featurette
- seven featurettes:
- “Anatomy of a Foodimal” with the filmmakers discussing the inspiration behind the flamangos, cheesepiders, hippotatomuses and more.
- “Production Design: Back in the Kitchen” with Cody Cameron and Kris Pearn talking about how they came up with the stories and jokes for the film.
- “Awesome End Credits” about how the end credit sequence was created using a mix of 3D, 2D, stop motion and live action.
- “Cloudy Cafe: Who’s On the Menu?” with cast newcomers Will Forte (MacGruber) and Kristen Schaal (Dinner for Schmucks) talking about what drew them to the movie and how they discovered the voices of Chester V and Barb, as well as Terry Crews stepping into the size 12 shoes left by Mr. T to portray Officer Earl Devereaux, plus Anna Faris, Bill Hader and others.
- “Building the Foodimals” with animators discussing how they created the new creations.
- “The Sasquash” exploring all the places in the film where the Sasquash hides.
- “Delicious Production Design” with the animators talking about the movie’s design.
The Blu-ray and Bluray 3D Combo packs also carry these exclusive extras:
- deleted scenes
- four mini-movies:
- “Attach of the 50-Foot Gummi Bear” – Flint’s mischievous gummi bear grows to 50-feet by using his new food-modifying invention while Steve is in charge. Steve must frantically chase the gummi bear and transform him back to normal size before Flint returns to the lab. (New)
- “Steve’s First Bath” – Flint’s failed date with Sam is because of Steve’s mischievous ways. (New)
- “Super Manny” – Manny, the Jack of all trades, saves an adorable kitty with his many skills.
- “Earl Scouts” – The Foodimals join Earl’s scouting program but are very competitive.
All versions also offer a downloadable digital copy of the movie via UltraViolet.
Buy or Rent Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2
DVD | Blu-ray/DVD Combo | Blu-ray 3D Combo
|DVD | Blu-ray/DVD Combo | Blu-ray 3D Combo||DVD | Blu-ray/DVD Combo | Blu-ray 3D Combo|