Digital Release Date: Jan. 14, 2014, Blu-ray & DVD Release Date: Jan. 28, 2014
Price: DVD $29.98, Blu-ray/DVD Combo $34.98
Studio: Universal Studios Home Entertainment
The film stars Chris Hemsworth (Snow White and the Huntsman) and Daniel Bruhl (The Fifth Estate) as rivaling Formula One racers James Hunt and Niki Lauda, respectively. Rush follows the two drivers in their 1970s atttempts to be number one.
Olivia Wilde (The Words) and Alexandra Maria Lara (The Reader) also star in the movie, as the women behind the racers.
Rush was nominated for two Golden Globe awards: Best Supporting Actor for Daniel Bruhl and Best Motion Picture – Drama. It scored highly with critics and moviegoers, earning 89% and 92% approval, respectively, according to Rotten Tomatoes.
Despite the praise, however, the film grossed only $27 million in wide release in U.S. theaters, but brought in a whopping $63 million overseas, where Formula One is more popular. Even if you don’t know much about this type of racing, we recommend Rush as a fascinating look at two men whose ambitions drove them to push forward no matter what the danger.
Both the DVD and Blu-ray carry these special features:
- deleted scenes
- featurette “Ron Howard: A Director’s Approach,” about Ron Howard’s passion for filmmaking.
- “Race for the Checkered Flag: The Making of Rush”
- “Peter Morgan on Writing Rush” about the Oscar-nominated screenwriter of Last King of Scotland and how he creates his stories
- “Finding James and Niki,” with Chris Hemsworth talking about researching his role through archival reports and footage and Daniel Bruhl meeting the real Niki Lauda, as a guest on the Austrian driver’s private jet
- “The Light of Speed and Filming F1” about Oscar-winning cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle discussing how he achieved the film’s race sequences
- “Around the World in One Location,” with Ron Howard and the other filmmakers explaining how they created the illusion of shooting all over the world despite not leaving the U.K.
- “Fashion and Styles of the ’70s,” with costume designer Julian Day and hair and makeup designer Fae Hammond
- “The Real Story of Rush”
- “Meeting James Hunt and Niki Lauda,” with members of the cast and crew and friends of the racers sharing their insights of the two men, including an interview with Lauda
- “F1 Take 1: F1 Racing and the F1 Car,” including mechanics and pit crew from the 1970s era Formula One describing the rivalry and camaraderie between various racing teams
- “The Rock and Roll Circus” about the glamorous F1 circuit of the 1970s.
Check out the trailer:
Buy or Rent Rush
DVD | Blu-ray/DVD Combo
|DVD | Blu-ray/DVD Combo||DVD | Blu-ray/DVD Combo|