MGM Home Entertainment released the Blu-ray edition of the classic 1962 espionage thriller movie The Manchurian Candidate, starring Frank Sinatra (Concert for the Americas) and Angela Lansbury (Harlow), on May 10, 2011, following its three-month exclusive availability through retail giant Best Buy. The disc is distributed by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment.
Directed by John Frankenheimer (Grand Prix) and George Axelrod, the film revolves around a platoon American soldiers in the Korean War who may or may not have been captured by the enemy. Major Bennett (Sinatra) can’t seem to remember. As he searches for the answer, he discovers threads of a diabolical assassination plot orchestrated by the ruthless Mrs. Iselin (Lansbury) involving her war hero son (Laurence Harvey, Summer and Smoke), her senator husband (James Gregory, TV’s Barney Miller) and a clandestine consortium of enemy leaders.
The Blu-ray carries the list price of $19.99.
All of the bonus features that appeared on MGM’s 2004 DVD are included on the Blu-ray, as well as a couple of new supplements. Here’s a list:
- commentary by director John Frankenheimer.
- interview with star Frank Sinatra and directors George Axelrod and John Frankenheimer
- Queen of Diamonds featurette with star Angela Lansbury
- A Little Solitaire featurette with filmmaker William Friedkin
- How to Get Shot featurette with Lansbury (new)
- outtake from Friedkin interview (new)
- theatrical trailer
Buy or Rent The Manchurian Candidate