Blu-ray & DVD Release Date: Dec. 3, 2013
Price: DVD $30.99, Blu-ray/DVD Combo $40.99
Studio: Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones is the first movie based on the best-selling series of novels by Cassandra Clare.
Aimed at the Twilight young-adult market, the fantasy film didn’t quite score as highly as the vampire movie, grossing only $31 million, compared to $193 million for the original Twilight. That could be because critics panned The Mortal Instruments (to the tune of 12% approval, according to Rotten Tomatoes), although fans liked it much more (66%).
Lily Collins (Mirror Mirror) stars in the fantasy film as Clary, a normal teenager who discovers she’s the descendant of a line of Shadowhunters, half-angel warriors trying to save the world from demons. When her mother (Lean Headey, The Purge) disappears, Clary joins forces with a group of Shadowhunters, who introduce her to a dangerous alternate New York called Downworld, filled with demons, warlocks, werewolves and, yes, vampires.
- “Bringing Them to Life” with the filmmakers and cast discussing the characters
- “Descendants of the Cup” about the film’s stunts and the cast changing into the Shadowhunters
- music video for “Almost is Never Enough”
- deleted scenes
- digital copy via UltraViolet.
The Blu-ray adds these exclusive extras:
- Interactive Lineage Tracker, about the characters in the world
- “Deadly Attraction” with Lily Collins and Jamie Campbell Bower talking about their roles
- “Entering the Shadow World” about how the filmmakers created the movie’s creatures
- “Into the Shadows: From Book to Screen” about the film’s adaptation.
Buy or Rent The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones
DVD | Blu-ray/DVD Combo
|DVD | Blu-ray/DVD Combo||DVD | Blu-ray/DVD Combo|