The work of two great American artists merges in Short Cuts, a kaleidoscopic 1993 comedy-drama adaptation of the stories of renowned author Raymond Carver by maverick director Robert Altman (McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Nashville).
Epic in scale yet meticulously observed, the film interweaves the stories of twenty-two characters as they struggle to find solace and meaning in contemporary Los Angeles.
The extraordinary ensemble cast includes Tim Robbins (The Player), Julianne Moore (A Single Man), Robert Downey Jr. (Chaplin), Jack Lemmon (The Odd Couple), and Jennifer Jason Leigh (Heart of Midnight) – all giving fearless performances in what is arguably one of Altman’s most compassionate creations.
Criterion’s Blu-ray and DVD editions of the movie contain the following:
- New, restored 4K digital transfer, approved by cinematographer Walt Lloyd, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Alternate 5.1 soundtrack mix, plus isolated music track
- Conversation between Altman and actor Tim Robbins from 2004
- Luck, Trust & Ketchup: Robert Altman in Carver Country, a 1993 feature-length documentary on the making of Short Cuts
- To Write and Keep Kind, a 1992 PBS documentary on the life of author Raymond Carver
- One-hour 1983 audio interview with Carver, conducted for the American Audio Prose Library
- Original demo recordings of the film’s Doc Pomus-Mac Rebennack songs, performed by Dr. John
- Deleted scenes
- A look inside the marketing of Short Cuts
- An essay by film critic Michael Wilmington
Buy or Rent Short Cuts
|DVD | Blu-ray|