Blu-ray & DVD Release Date: Nov. 13, 2012
Price: DVD $29.99, Three-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo $39.99, Five-Disc Blu-ray 3D Combo $49.99
Studio: Pixar/Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment
Pixar continues its run of acclaimed animated films with Brave, featuring a tough teen girl who’s more comfortable with a sword than needlepoint.
Voiced by Kelly Macdonald (TV’s Boardwalk Empire), Merida is a Scottish princess who’s destined to marry the eldest son of of another family to keep peace in their area. But the headstrong teen has adventure on her mind.
Feeling desperate, Merida goes to a witch and purchases a spell that will make her mother (Emma Thompson, Nanny McPhee) change her mind about the wedding. But it transforms her mother into a large black bear, the dreaded and hunted animal of Merida’s father (Billy Connolly, Gulliver’s Travels) as well as every other man in the area. While she tries to reverse the curse, Merida also must keep her disguised mother safe. And along the way, they just might learn to understand each other better.
Brave grossed a whopping $229 million when it was in theaters, riding on good reviews from critics, who said the movie isn’t as good as earlier Pixar films but is still collection-worthy. As Denver Post critic Lisa Kennedy said, “Saying that Brave is entertaining but not astonishing is pretty much admitting your straight-A student got a B.” This Disc Dish critic gives the film at least an A-minus.
Brave is available as a single DVD, a three-disc Blu-ray/DVD combo and a five-disc Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray/DVD combo pack.
- theatrical short “La Luna”
- new short “The Legend of Mor’du” as told by the witch who changed him
- director’s commentary.
Both the Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D versions contain the majority of the extras. Here’s the list:
- “La Luna” in high-definition
- “The Legend of Mor’du” in high-definition
- featurette “Brave Old World” about how the movie’s production team investigated Scotland, its culture, people and dialects, and what actress Emma Thompson thinks of Pixar’s take on her homeland
- featurette “Merida & Elinor,” looking at contrasts in character design, clothing, animation, voicing and hairstyles for the mother-daughter relationship
- featurette “Bear” about the design of the different animals in the film
- featurette “Brawl in the Hall,” about the process of creating the fighting Scots
- featurette “Wonder Moss” about how Brave‘s technical artists examined the Scotish countryside, including moss, lichen and bracken
- featurette “Magic” about the magic and mystery of Scotland, from potions to the will-o’-the-wisps featured in the movie
- featurette “Clan Pixar,” showing the Pixar team getting into character, from making haggis to Kilt Fridays and celebrating Scottish poet Robert Burns
- featurette “Once Upon a Scene,” about the evolution of the storylines during the film’s production
- three extended scenes with feature film debuting director Mark Andrews talking about the decisions behind them
- director’s commentary
- “Fergus & Mor’du” alternate opening
- Fallen Warriors Montage deleted shots
- “Dirty Hairy People” about the design of the Brave‘s Scots, including hair, attire and dirt-crusted bodies
- “It is English … Sort Or,” which helps fans interpret some of the more Scottish lines in the film
- “Angus” about Merida’s trusted Clydesdale
- promotional clips, including “Feast Yer Eyes,” “Relics,” “Clan DunBroch,” “Launch” and more
- art gallery with characters, sets, scenes and landscapes
- “Wee Gaffes” video montage of simulation, animation and shot bloopers
- “Renaissance Animation Man” about director Mark Andrews’ love of Scotland
- teasers and sneak peeks.
The Blu-ray 3D also offer the “La Luna” short film in 3D and a downloadable digital copy of the movie.
And both Blu-ray versions show the high-definition Brave with Disney’s customary 7.1 audio. The DVD has 5.1 Dolby Digital.
Pixar’s Finding Nemo makes its Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D debut in December.
Buy or Rent Brave
DVD | Blu-ray/DVD Combo | Blu-ray 3D Combo
|DVD | Blu-ray/DVD Combo | Blu-ray 3D Combo||DVD | Blu-ray/DVD Combo | Blu-ray 3D Combo|